Blog page 151

Shkoder

Shkoder or Shkodra, historically known as Scutari or Scodra, is a city in the Republic of Albania. It is the capital of the surrounding county of Shkoder, one of 12 constituent counties of the republic. The city is one of the most ancient cities ...

Stari Bar

Stari Bar, meaning Old Bar, is a small town in Montenegro. It is located inland, a few miles from the new city of Bar, resting on Londsa hill, at the foot of Mount Rumija. According to the 2003 census, the town has a population of 1.864 people.

Kungahalla

Kungahalla was a medieval Viking settlement in southern Bohuslan at a site which is located in Kungalv Municipality in Vastra Gotaland County in Sweden. It is the site of the former fortification at Ragnhildsholmen.

Sarpsborg

Sarpsborg, historically Borg, is a city and municipality in Viken county, Norway. The administrative centre of the municipality is the city of Sarpsborg. Sarpsborg is part of the fifth largest urban area in Norway when paired with neighbouring Fr ...

Angers

Angers) is a city in western France, about 300 km southwest of Paris. It is chef-lieu of the Maine-et-Loire department and was the capital of the province of Anjou until the French Revolution. The inhabitants of both the city and the province are ...

Gniezno

Gniezno ; German: Gnesen) is a city in central-western Poland, about 50 kilometres east of Poznan, with 68.943 inhabitants making it the sixth-largest city in the Greater Poland Voivodeship. One of the Piast dynastys chief cities, it was the firs ...

Plock

Plock) is a city on the Vistula river in central Poland. It is located in the Masovian Voivodeship, having previously been the capital of the Plock Voivodeship. According to the data provided by GUS on 31 December 2018 there were 120.000 inhabita ...

Baia

Baia is a commune in the Suceava County, Romania with a population of 6.793. It is composed of two villages, Baia, and Bogata. Located on the Moldova River, it was one of the earliest urban settlements in Moldavia.

Curtea de Argeș

See Argeș for namesakes Curtea de Argeș) is a municipality in Romania on the left bank of the river Argeș, where it flows through a valley of the lower Carpathians, on the railway from Pitești to the Turnu Roșu Pass. It is part of Argeș County. T ...

Siret

Siret is a town, municipality and former Latin bishopric in Suceava County, north-eastern Romania. It is situated in the historical region of Bukovina. Siret is the 11th largest urban settlement in the county, with a population of 7.721 inhabitan ...

Targoviște

Targoviște is a city in Romania, and the county seat of the Dambovița County. It is situated on the right bank of the Ialomița. At the 2011 census Targoviște had a population of 79.610, making it the 26th largest city in Romania. One of the most ...

Debrc

Debrc is a former town, today a village, located in the Vladimirci municipality in Macva District of Serbia. According to the census from 2011 there were 858 people listed in the village.

Krusevac

Krusevac) is a city and the administrative center of the Rasina District in central Serbia. It is located in the valley of West Morava, on Rasina river. According to the 2011 census, the city administrative area has a population of 128.752, while ...

Nis

Nis ; names in other languages) is the third largest city in Serbia and the administrative center of the Nisava District. According to the 2011 census, the city proper has a population of 183.164, while its administrative area has a population of ...

Vijithapura

Vijithapura, also known as Vijitha Nagara or Vijithagama, was a fortress–city in ancient Sri Lanka. When Vijaya, the first recorded ruler of the country arrived from India, he brought a large retinue of his followers with him. These followers spr ...

Hlukhiv

Hlukhiv, is a small historic town on the Esman River. Currently it is a city of regional significance in the Sumy region of Ukraine, just south of the Russian border. Hlukhiv is administratively incorporated as a city of oblast significance. Hluk ...

Volodymyr-Volynskyi

Volodymyr-Volynskyi is a small city located in Volyn Oblast, in north-western Ukraine. Serving as the administrative centre of the Volodymyr-Volynskyi Raion, the city itself is also designated as a separate municipality within the oblast as the c ...

Dronningens Enghave

Dronningens Enghave was a seventeenth-century royal pleasure garden located just outside the Western City Gate of Copenhagen, Denmark, roughly where Tivoli Gardens and Copenhagen Central Station lies today.

Abney Park

Abney Park is in Stoke Newington, London, England. It is a 13-hectare park dating from just before 1700, named after Lady Mary Abney and associated with Dr Isaac Watts, who laid out an arboretum. In the early 18th century it was accessed via the ...

Great North Wood

The Great North Wood was a natural oak woodland that started three miles south-east of central London and scaled the Norwood Ridge. At its full extent, the woods boundaries stretched almost as far as Croydon and as far north as Camberwell. It had ...

Moorfields

Moorfields was an open space, partly in the City of London, lying adjacent to - and outside - its northern wall, near the eponymous Moorgate. It was known for its often marshy conditions, which may have been a result of the defensive wall acting ...

St Georges Fields

Originally the area was an undifferentiated part of the south side of the Thames, which was low-lying marshland unsuitable even for agricultural purposes. There is evidence of Roman occupation. As at Lambeth Marsh, the settlement was built on rai ...

Westcombe Park

Westcombe Park is a largely residential area in Blackheath in the Royal Borough of Greenwich, south-east London, England. It is bounded by the main London-Dartford railway line to the north, the Blackwall Tunnel southern approach to the east, the ...

Great Boiling Spring Park

Great Boiling Spring Park is a historical name for a former park that was on private property near Gerlach, Nevada, in a region known as the Black Rock Desert. The spring is not currently accessible by the public and has not been so since the 199 ...

Dutch Bengal

Bengal was a directorate of the Dutch East India Company in Mughal Bengal between 1610 until the companys liquidation in 1800. It then became a colony of the Kingdom of the Netherlands until 1825, when it was relinquished to the British according ...

Dutch Coromandel

Coromandel was a governorate of the Dutch East India Company on the Coromandel Coast between 1610 until the companys liquidation in 1798. Dutch presence in the region began with the capture of Pulicat from the Portuguese, which then became a colo ...

Dutch East India Company in Nusantara

The Dutch East India Company had a presence in the Malay archipelago) from 1603, when the first trading post was established, to 1800, when the bankrupt company was dissolved, and its possessions nationalised as the Dutch East Indies.

Dutch India

Dutch India consisted of the settlements and trading posts of the Dutch East India Company on the Indian subcontinent. It is only used as a geographical definition, as there has never been a political authority ruling all Dutch India. Instead, Du ...

Dutch Malabar

Dutch Malabar, also known by the name of its main settlement Cochin, was the title of a commandment of the Dutch East India Company on the Malabar Coast between 1661 and 1795, and is part of what is today collectively referred to as Dutch India. ...

Alesia (city)

Alesia was the capital of the Mandubii, one of the Gallic tribes allied with the Aedui. The Celtic oppidum was conquered by Julius Caesar during the Gallic Wars and afterwards became a Gallo-Roman town. Modern understanding of its location was co ...

Cenabum

Cenabum, Cenabaum or Genabum was the name of an oppidum of the Carnutes tribe, situated on the site of what is now Orleans. It was a prosperous commercial city on the Loire River at the time of Caesars conquest of Gaul.

Heidengraben

Heidengraben is the name given to the remains of a large Celtic fortified settlement dating to the Iron Age, located on the plateau of the Swabian Jura in the districts of Reutlingen and Esslingen in Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany. The settlement was ...

Heuneburg

The Heuneburg is a prehistoric hillfort by the river Danube in Hundersingen near Herbertingen, between Ulm and Sigmaringen, Baden-Wurttemberg, in the south of Germany, close to the modern borders with Switzerland and Austria. It is considered to ...

Nesactium

Nesactium was an ancient fortified town and hill fort of the Histri tribe. Its ruins are located in southern Istria, Croatia, between the villages of Muntic and Valtura.

Oppidum de Verduron

The Oppidum de Verduron is an oppidum in the 15th arrondissement of Marseille, France. It was built in the Iron Age. It was discovered in 1906, and fully excavated in 1911. It has been listed as an official historical monument since August 24, 2004.

Oppidum Steinsburg

Steinsburg is the colloquial name for the remains of a Celtic oppidum on the Kleiner Gleichberg in the German state of South Thuringia. It is located within the county of Hildburghausen by Waldhaus near the small town of Romhild. The Kleiner Glei ...

Titelberg

Titelberg is the site of a large Celtic settlement or oppidum in the extreme south west of Luxembourg. In the 1st century BC, this thriving community was probably the capital of the Treveri people. The site thus provides telling evidence of urban ...

Vertillum

Vertillum is a Gallo-Roman site in the modern commune of Vertault in the Cote-dOr department of eastern France. It has been extensively excavated over the past century. Many of the objects found at the site are held in the nearby Musee du Pays Ch ...

Oppidum Zurich-Lindenhof

The Lindenhof is a moraine hill that since the European Middle Ages is used as a public square, situated amidst the historic center of Zurich. It was the site of the Roman and Carolingian era Kaiserpfalz around which the modern city has historica ...

Cincinnatus Town

Pedro DSouza and his colleague George Britto, the town planners designed Cincinnatus Town, with its front on Britto Road and the back on Seth Mahomed Ali Habib Road. DSouza was a brilliant engineer who studied in St. Xaviers College in Bombay. He ...

Hussain DSilva Town

Hussain DSilva Town is a small housing colony in North Nazimabad, Karachi, Pakistan. This housing colony developed in the late 1950s for the new upwardly mobile middle class, with its cottage-style houses, wide roads, parks, sewerage system, scho ...

Nantou (historic town)

Nantou is a historical monument in Shenzhen, China. It was the former administrative centre of Xinan County. It was formerly a walled city facing Qianhai Bay. The city was on the sea route in South China and was regarded as the gatekeeper of the ...

Aabra

Aabra is an uninhabited village in Rõuge Parish, Võru County, in southeastern Estonia. Its located on the territory of Haanja Nature Park, about 8 km southeast of Rõuge, the administrative centre of the municipality, and about 18 km south of the ...

Bukowiec, Bieszczady County

Bukowiec is a former village, located in the administrative district of Gmina Solina, within Bieszczady County, Subcarpathian Voivodeship, in south-eastern Poland, close to the border with Ukraine. It lies approximately 23 kilometres south-east o ...

Diklici, Ravno

Diklici is a village in the Ravno municipality in south Bosnia and Herzegovina. According to the 1991 census, it was inhabited by 13 people, all ethnic Serbs, while according to the 2013 census it had no inhabitants. During World War II Partisan ...

Huti, Hiiu County

Huti is a village in Hiiumaa Parish, Hiiu County, Estonia, on the island of Hiiumaa. As of 2011 Census, the settlements population was 0. In 1628, the first glass factory in Estonia was established in Huti. It was owned by the Swedish military co ...

Iōjima, Tokyo

Iōjima was a village in the Japanese prefecture of Tokyo. Its administrative area covered the whole island of Iwo Jima, one of the Volcano Islands. It existed from 1923 when the Ogasawara islands were organized into modern municipalities to 1952 ...

Mamuka village

Mamuka village is a village from the Middle Ages, on the left side of the river Mtkvari. Located in the area of the current aviation factory in the east of Tbilisi in the Isani-Samgori region. In the sources first mentioned in 1721.

Nandgaon, Mawal

Nandgaon in Mawal taluka of Pune district, Maharashtra, India, was listed as a village in the 2011 Census of India but was recorded as being uninhabited at that time, as it also was in 2001. It comprised an area of 793 ha. The village is administ ...

Precani (village)

Precani is an uninhabited village in the municipality of Trnovo, Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bosnia and Herzegovina. According to the 1991 census, the village had 2 inhabitants.