Blog page 327

Rabot Point

Rabot Point is a high rocky point on the east side of James Ross Island, Antarctica. It lies in Markham Bay and separates the mouths of Gourdon and Hobbs Glaciers.

Redshaw Point

Redshaw Point is an ice-free point facing Markham Bay, situated between Hobbs Glacier and Ball Glacier, southeast James Ross Island. Named by United Kingdom Antarctic Place-Names Committee in 1995 after Susan Margaret Redshaw, British Antarctic S ...

Rink Point

Rink Point is a rocky point on the northwest coast of James Ross Island, 2 nautical miles east of Carlson Island. The name arose because, during a visit by a Falkland Islands Dependencies Survey party in August 1952, the point was surrounded by a ...

Rum Cove

Rum Cove is a cove indenting the northwest coast of James Ross Island between Tumbledown Cliffs and Cape Obelisk. Named in 1983 by the United Kingdom Antarctic Place-Names Committee in association with the names of other alcoholic spirits on this ...

Saint Martha Cove

Saint Martha Cove is a small, almost landlocked cove on the northwest side of Croft Bay, close south of Andreassen Point, James Ross Island. Named on an Argentine map of 1959, presumably after Saint Martha, sister of Mary and Lazarus. This articl ...

Saint Rita Point

Saint Rita Point is a point terminating in a steep rock outcrop immediately north of the mouth of Gourdon Glacier, on the east coast of James Ross Island. The name "Cabo Santa Rita" appears on a 1959 Argentine map. Saint Rita, an Italian, was can ...

San Carlos Point

San Carlos Point is the southwest entrance point of Brandy Bay, James Ross Island. A refuge hut called "Refugio San Carlos" was established on this point by the Argentine Antarctic Expedition in 1959. Following geological work in the area by Brit ...

San Jose Pass

San Jose Pass is a pass trending NW-SE and rising to about 200 m between Lachman Crags and Stickle Ridge on James Ross Island. On either side of this pass there are exposures of fossiliferous Cretaceous rocks. Following work in the area, named "P ...

Seacatch Nunataks

Seacatch Nunataks is a group of nunataks rising to about 500 m between Carro Pass and Massey Heights in James Ross Island. It was named by the United Kingdom Antarctic Place-Names Committee following British Antarctic Survey geological work here ...

Sentinel Buttress

Sentinel Buttress is a prominent crag containing a volcanic breccia sequence, rising to 535 m east of Palisade Nunatak at the head of Rohss Bay, James Ross Island. So named by the United Kingdom Antarctic Place-Names Committee in 1987 from its co ...

Skep Point

Skep Point is a high ice-free point 5 nautical miles west-northwest of Ula Point on the northeast coast of James Ross Island. Surveyed by Falkland Islands Dependencies Survey first in 1945, then again in 1953. The United Kingdom Antarctic Place-N ...

Stark Point

Stark Point is a rocky point on the east side of Croft Bay, northern James Ross Island. It is formed by almost vertical cliffs which rise from the sea to 285 meters. Surveyed by Falkland Islands Dependencies Survey in August 1953. The descriptive ...

Stickle Ridge

Stickle Ridge is a ridge rising to about 720 m, west of Saint Martha Cove on James Ross Island. The weathered red lavas of the ridge were examined by British Antarctic Survey geologists during the 1985–86 season. Named descriptively by the United ...

Sungold Hill

Sungold Hill is a prominent round hill with distinctive convex slopes, 2 nautical miles inland between Cape Foster and Jefford Point on the south coast of James Ross Island. Named by United Kingdom Antarctic Place-Names Committee following Falkla ...

Swift Bay

Swift Bay is a bay entered west of Jefford Point, on the south side of James Ross Island. It was named by the UK Antarctic Place-names Committee in 2006 in association with Swift Glacier, which flows southward into the bay.

Terrapin Hill

Terrapin Hill is a rounded, reddish-colored hill, 545 m high, standing at the south end of The Naze, a peninsula of northern James Ross Island, close south of Trinity Peninsula. This area was first explored by the Swedish Antarctic Expedition, 19 ...

Tortoise Hill

Tortoise Hill is a hill more than 500 m high, 3 nautical miles west of The Watchtower at the southeast corner of James Ross Island. Named by United Kingdom Antarctic Place-Names Committee following Falkland Islands Dependencies Survey surveys, 19 ...

Tumbledown Cliffs

Tumbledown Cliffs is a conspicuous rock cliffs on the west coast of James Ross Island, about 3 nautical miles north of Cape Obelisk. Probably first seen by Dr. Otto Nordenskjold in 1903. Surveyed by Falkland Islands Dependencies Survey in 1945. T ...

Ula Point

Ula Point is a low ice-covered point in the Erebus and Terror Gulf, on the northeast coast of James Ross Island, 5 miles northwest of Cape Gage. First seen and roughly surveyed by Swedish Antarctic Expedition, 1901–04, under Otto Nordenskjold. It ...

Ulu Peninsula

Ulu Peninsula is that portion of James Ross Island northwest of the narrow neck of land between Rohss Bay and Croft Bay, extending from Cape Obelisk to Cape Lachman. Named descriptively by the United Kingdom Antarctic Place-Names Committee in 198 ...

Virgin Hill

Virgin Hill is a hill rising to 665 m west of Carro Pass, James Ross Island. The name derives from "Cerro Virgen de las Nieves" applied by Argentine Antarctic Expeditions, 1978. A more concise English form of the name has been approved. This arti ...

Whisky Bay

Whisky Bay is a bay between Rink Point and Stoneley Point on the northwest side of James Ross Island. The bay was likely discovered by Otto Nordenskjold of the Swedish Antarctic Expedition in 1903, who roughly mapped this area and showed small ba ...

Active Reef

Active Reef is an isolated reef lying in the Firth of Tay, just off the north coast of Dundee Island. Discovered and named by Thomas Robertson, master of the Active, one of the ships of the Dundee whaling expedition of 1892–93. The Active ran ont ...

Active Sound

Active Sound is a sound, averaging 2 miles wide, extending in an east-northeast direction from Antarctic Sound and joining the Firth of Tay with which it separates Joinville and Dundee Islands. Discovered in 1892–93 by Captain Thomas Robertson of ...

Andersson Island

Andersson Island is a 7 mi long and 4 mi wide volcanic island of the James Ross Island Volcanic Group, located at the eastern end of the Tabarin Peninsula, Antarctica. The island was originally named Uruguay Island by the Swedish Antarctic Expedi ...

Archibald Point

Archibald Point is an exposed rocky headland on the southwest side of Bransfield Island in Antarctic Sound. It was named by the United Kingdom Antarctic Place-Names Committee for George K. Archibald, first officer of RRS Shackleton, one of the Br ...

Balaena Valley

Balaena Valley is a gently sloping valley, filled with ice, lying east of Suspiros Bay in the western part of Joinville Island. It was surveyed by the Falkland Islands Dependencies Survey in 1953–54. The Balaena was one of the Dundee whaling ship ...

Beagle Island (Antarctica)

Beagle Island is an island lying northeast of Darwin Island in the Danger Islands off the east end of Joinville Island. It was named by the UK Antarctic Place-Names Committee in 1963 after HMS Beagle, due to its proximity to Darwin Island.

Cape Betbeder

Cape Betbeder is a cape which marks the southwest end of Andersson Island, lying in Antarctic Sound off the northeast tip of Antarctic Peninsula. Charted by the Swedish Antarctic Expedition on the Antarctic, 1901–04, under Otto Nordenskjold, and ...

Boreal Point

Boreal Point is a headland forming the west side of Rockpepper Bay, along the north coast of Joinville Island. It was surveyed by the Falkland Islands Dependencies Survey in 1953–54. The feature was so named by the UK Antarctic Place-Names Commit ...

Bransfield Island

Bransfield Island is an island nearly 5 nautical miles long, lying 3 nautical miles southwest of DUrville Island off the northeast end of the Antarctic Peninsula. The name "Point Bransfield", after Edward Bransfield, Master, Royal Navy, was given ...

Brash Island

Brash Island is an isolated island lying 9.3 kilometres northwest of Darwin Island, off the southeast end of Joinville Island. It was surveyed by the Falkland Islands Dependencies Survey in 1953, and so named by the UK Antarctic Place-Names Commi ...

Burden Passage

Burden Passage is a marine passage between DUrville Island and Bransfield Island, off the northeast end of the Antarctic Peninsula. It was charted in 1947 by the Falkland Islands Dependencies Survey and named after Eugene Burden, who, as master o ...

Chaucheprat Point

Chaucheprat Point is a low headland at the northwest corner of Jonassen Island in Antarctic Sound. The name "Cap Chaucheprat", after M. Chaucheprat, Private Secretary to Vice Admiral Claude de Rosamel, was applied to a feature in this vicinity by ...

DUrville Island, Antarctica

DUrville Island is an island of Antarctica. It is the northernmost island of the Joinville Island group, 27 kilometres long, lying immediately north of Joinville Island, from which it is separated by Larsen Channel. The single island was charted ...

Darwin Island (Antarctica)

Darwin Island is the largest of the Danger Islands, lying 20 kilometres east-southeast of the eastern tip of Joinville Island, off the northeast end of the Antarctic Peninsula. It was discovered in 1842 by a British expedition under James Clark R ...

Diana Reef

Diana Reef is an isolated reef lying 3 nautical miles east of DUrville Monument, Joinville Island, in Active Sound. Roughly surveyed by the Falkland Islands Dependencies Survey in 1954, it was named in 1956 by the UK Antarctic Place-Names Committ ...

Dixey Rock

Dixey Rock is a rock rising 25 metres above sea level, 1.5 nautical miles southeast of Darwin Island in the Danger Islands. It was mapped by the Falkland Islands Dependencies Survey in 1953–54 and 1956–58, and photographed from the air by the Fal ...

Dundee Island

Dundee Island is an ice-covered island lying east of the northeastern tip of Antarctic Peninsula and south of Joinville Island. On January 8, 1893, during the Dundee Antarctic Whaling Expedition, the island was named by Captain Thomas Robertson o ...

Earle Island

Earle Island is a small island 6 kilometres southwest of Darwin Island which marks the southwest end of the Danger Islands. Following hydrographic work in the area from HMS Endurance in 1977–78, it was named, in association with Beagle Island and ...

Erebus and Terror Gulf

Erebus and Terror Gulf is a gulf on the southeast side of the tip of the Antarctic Peninsula, bordered on the northeast by the Joinville Island group and on the southwest by the James Ross Island group. It was named for HMS Erebus and HMS Terror, ...

Etna Island

Etna Island is an island with a high summit, lying 11 kilometres north of the eastern end of Joinville Island, off the northeastern tip of the Antarctic Peninsula. It was discovered by a British expedition under James Clark Ross, 1839–43, who so ...

Fitzroy Point

Fitzroy Point is a low point at the east side of Fliess Bay forming the northeast extremity of Joinville Island, off Graham Land, Antarctica. It was discovered on 30 December 1842 by a British expedition under James Clark Ross, who named it "Cape ...

Fliess Bay

Fliess Bay is a bay lying immediately west of Fitzroy Point along the north coast of Joinville Island. The name appears on an Argentine government chart from 1957. It was named "Caleta Almirante Fliess" after Admiral Felipe Fliess who, as a lieut ...

Français Rocks

The Français Rocks are a group of fringing rocks lying off the northeast coast of DUrville Island, in the Joinville Island group. The name "Pointe des Français" was given by Captain Jules Dumont dUrville, of the French Antarctic Expedition, 1837– ...

Haddon Bay

Haddon Bay is a bay lying immediately east of Mount Alexander along the south coast of Joinville Island, Antarctica. It was discovered in January 1893 by Thomas Robertson, master of the ship Active, one of the Dundee whalers. The bay was surveyed ...

Harris Rock

Harris Rock is the largest and southernmost of a group of three rocks lying north of Montrol Rock and DUrville Island, in the Joinville Island group, Antarctica. It is located 7 km northeast of Cape Juncal and 6.3 km northwest of Limoza Island. T ...

Heroina Island

Heroina Island is a small island in Antarctica, marking the northeast end of the Danger Islands, east-southeast of Joinville Island. It was named by the Argentine Antarctic Expedition, 1948–49, after the expedition ship Heroina, the name being ap ...

Joinville Island

Joinville Island is the largest island of the Joinville Island group, about 40 nmi long in an east-west direction and 12 nmi wide, lying off the northeastern tip of the Antarctic Peninsula, from which it is separated by the Antarctic Sound. Joinv ...

Joinville Island group

Joinville Island group is a group of antarctic islands, lying off the northeastern tip of the Antarctic Peninsula, from which Joinville Island group is separated by the Antarctic Sound. Joinville Island, located at 63°15′S 55°45′W, is the largest ...