ⓘ Blog | Houses completed in 1899 - houses by year of completion ..

The Anchorage, Birmingham

The Anchorage is a Grade II* listed building in Handsworth Wood, Birmingham, England. It was built in 1899, to Arts and Crafts-style designs by Joseph Crouch and Edmund Butler, as a house for Alfred Constantine, a manufacturing jeweller. At the time, the area was in Staffordshire. The building is made of brick, with stone dressing and applied timber framing. The roof is tiled, with an off-centre cupola. A fire in around 1977 burnt the main halls minstrels gallery and a set of murals, The Hunt and Feast, by Fred Davis. Other interior fittings include metal work by a member of the Bromsgrove Guild, possibly Benjamin Creswick, and embroidery by Mary Newill, who also made stained glass for some of the windows. The building was granted protection from unauthorised alteration through Grade II* listed designation on 8 July 1982. One of its attached garages has been converted into a self contained dwelling under the direction of HDA Architecture. From 1983 to 2019 the building was occupied by the Jesus Fellowship Church as one of its Community Houses.

Clara F. Bacon House

The house was built in the Queen Anne architecture style in 1899. It belonged to Clara F. Bacon, who moved to Lodi from Baraboo, Wisconsin after her husbands death.

Orland P. Bassett House

The Orland P. Bassett House, and the accompanying carriage house, were constructed in 1899. Bassett began his career as a printer, moving to Chicago manage the Pictorial Printing Company in 1874. He moved to Hinsdale with his wife in 1887 and began cultivating roses as a hobby. In 1888, he created a hybrid rose known as the American Beauty rose in his greenhouse. He co-founded Bassett & Washburn, which became the first florist to distribute the rose. Commercial horticulture was a relatively new field as Americans had only gained significant disposable income late in the 19th century. One of their largest clients was the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad, who purchased the roses for use in their dining cars. The company was the largest employer in Hinsdale in 1900. Bassett retired in 1907, passing the business to his son-in-law, and moved to Pasadena, California in 1910. Bassetts grandson Egdar Washburn lived in the residence until 1913, when it was sold to Quaker Oats treasurer Robert Gordon. The house was renovated in 1942.

Benjamin N. Duke House

The Benjamin N. Duke House, also called the Duke–Semans Mansion and the Benjamin N. and Sarah Duke House, is a landmarked mansion located at 1009 Fifth Avenue at East 82nd Street in the Upper East Side of Manhattan, New York City. It was built in 1899-1901 and was designed by the firm of Welch, Smith & Provot in the Beaux-Arts style.

Bennett–Williams House

The Bennett–Williams House is a historic house, located in The Dalles, Oregon, United States. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and is also listed as a contributing resource in the National Register-listed Trevitts Addition Historic District. Built circa 1899 for prominent local lawyer, judge, and Oregon Supreme Court justice Alfred S. Bennett, the house is the most outstanding and best preserved example of Queen Anne architecture in The Dalles. It later became the home of leading members of the Williams family, a notable local merchant family.

August Beresheim House

The August Beresheim House is an historic building located in Council Bluffs, Iowa, United States. Beresheim served as the president of Council Bluffs Savings Bank. His house was built in 1899 in a neighborhood where many influential citizens of that city resided. It is next door to the Grenville M. Dodge House, who instrumental in establishing the bank, and they are the only two residences on their side of street. The three-story frame house is a combination of several styles. The dominant feature of this symmetrical-plan structure is its wrap-around porch. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. In 2005 it was included as a contributing property in the Willow-Bluff-3rd Street Historic District.